Wednesday, July 7, 2010

18 month doctor's appointment and a random thought


I took Ella in for her routine check up today. She is a whopping 24 pounds, and she is 33 3/4 inches long. She is getting taller and skinnier by the day. That probably has something to do with the way she eats;) Ella had to get two shots today (poor baby), but she doesn't have to get anymore until she starts kindergarten. Woohoo!! :) The doctor said she is above average for her nonverbal skills and a little below on the verbal. She is having first steps come out to do an evaluation. She is not worried about her at all, but she said it might jump start things. She thinks by the time she is 2 years old she should be talking a lot more. I am not really worried about it either. She will start talking when she is ready.

This is just a random thought that I had today, but I have been following a blog called "In this wonderful life" for awhile now. She recently had a baby and while she was pregnant found out the baby was going to be born with a congenital heart defect. The doctor told her he would be having surgery once he was born. I can't even imagine hearing that news, because having a baby is scary enough. She had the baby and had surgery four times the first four days of life. He just recently passed away, and she is now blogging about his last day at the hospital. It's heart wrenching, but it's so intriguing that I have to read it. I can't imagine carrying a baby, giving birth to a baby, and then the baby passing away. It's the saddest thought I can think of.

When I was pregnant with Ella I always thought that everything was going to go perfectly and nothing bad could ever happen. I took having a baby with a grain of salt. That is funny to me now considering what I went through. After reading the story about this baby I realize how many things can go wrong and how serious having a baby really is. I have no clue if we will ever have another one. I know Ella is a true blessing, and I may just consider myself lucky to have one. I feel like everyone thinks you can get pregnant and pop out a baby like it's no big deal. It's just not that easy. I know this first hand unfortunately.

If anyone wants to read this baby's story here is a link to the blog(have some Kleenex handy):
http://www.inthiswonderfullife.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...