Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Ear infection #3

This past Thursday I woke up to Ella crying, because she threw up in her bed. I didn't think much of it, because she seemed like she was fine. Shortly after she threw up again. It happened a few more times until finally she was done. She was able to keep some food down that afternoon, but I started to get worried when she told me her ear hurt. 

Ella has had two ear infections. They both started just like this. Each time I waited a couple of days to go to the doctor, because I thought it was just a virus. This time I was almost sure it was an ear infection. After debating with myself for a couple of hours I finally called the after hour clinic and took her in just to get her ears checked. The doctor told me both ears looked perfect. I was sure it was just a virus that would pass. Thursday night Ella started running a fever which lasted into Friday. Friday was a very depressing day at our house. Ella wanted all the blinds closed, and she slept on and off all day. Friday night her fever finally broke. We gave her ibuprofen a couple of times, but Ella fought us when we did give it to her. She HATES medicine. I have never seen anything like it. 

Saturday morning Ella woke up and seemed like her old self. I was relieved. Adam and I had planned a trip to Nashville for the day/night, and we decided it was fine to go. My mom said she was fine all day Saturday, but then Sunday she could tell something was wrong. Once we got home Ella took a 3 hour nap. When she woke up she started throwing up again. Finally around 9 she was able to go to sleep and slept all night. 

Monday morning I thought she was better. After being up for a few hours she started telling me she was sick. I called the doctor, and we went in yesterday afternoon. We went through the whole story of what was going on and come to find out she has an ear infection. I knew it.  The infection probably hadn't had time to develop on Thursday night when we took her in. The doctor said it is good we are starting to see a pattern developing when she does have an ear infection. She gave us a prescription, but I knew what we had ahead of us. Ella HATES, I repeat HATES, taking medicine. She screams, kicks, and fights us. We got some down, but probably not enough. I put a little more in a drink. Ella was smart enough to smell it and knew there was medicine in it. 

This morning Adam had to leave for Terre Haute so I knew I would be on my own to give Ella her medicine. It was extra bad this morning so I called the doctor. They told me I could bring her in, and they would give it to her. It took three of us, and she didn't even get the full dose. She told them she was going to "spit it out." She screamed so loud I am sure she could be heard outside. That really makes me sad considering she is such a good girl most of the time. She is just very stubborn when it comes to taking medicine. I have to take her back tomorrow so they can help me again. I could have sit and cried once we came out of the doctor's office. Ella being sick is bad enough, but the fact she won't take her medicine is even worse. I'm hoping she will grow out of this sooner rather than later. 

She still isn't acting like herself. She has been laying around since last Thursday, and I can't hardly stand to see it. She brings so much joy and cheer to our house. It's really depressing around here with her sick. Each day I think maybe she will be back to her normal self, but this has yet to happen. Please say a prayer she feels better soon! 

3 comments:

  1. What color is the medicine? My mom used to put food coloring in my antibiotics...a different color every time. We pretended it was magic! It may be worthless but worth a shot! Poor sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. I am so desperate I will try anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! Poor thing (and poor mom)! Hope she's feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...