Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Colorado- Part 3- Rocky Mountain National Park

 Once the time came to leave Vail we decided to drive the two hours to Rocky Mountain National Park. It didn't come without a little excitement though. Adam got pulled over on the way there for speeding in small town USA.  I was beginning to think it was a bad idea until we got there and found out what a beautiful place it truly is. 


We followed Trail Ridge Road from the entrance at Grand Lake all the way to Estes Park, Colorado. There were many pull offs and trails and beautiful views. 

We stopped at the first trail we saw so we could dip our feet in the water. 


We were lucky enough to spot a group of elk way off in the distance. I love seeing wildlife. That was one of my favorite parts of the day. 







Trail Ridge Road heads up into the mountains and as you go the views keep getting prettier and prettier. I was "oohing" and "ahhing" all day long to the point Adam and Ella were making fun of me. You have to see it for yourself to truly appreciate it, but it is truly breathtaking. 


I knew once we got into the park there wouldn't be anywhere to eat lunch so we stopped at a picnic table (they are along the road) and had lunch. It was a lot of fun to sit and eat and enjoy the views. 


Our next stop was the visitors center. I had to get an ornament and a stamp in our national park passport book. We were almost at 12,000 ft. elevation. It was COLD, and there was snow behind the visitors center. 




Look at that snow in July! 


Right next time to the visitors center is another store that has snacks and drinks. Adam and Ella came out with coffee, hot chocolate, and cinnamon rolls. That just topped off my day! :) 

Our last stop before heading out was Rock Cut Trail. I had heard we needed to stop here, because there were marmots and pikas running around. We especially enjoy seeing wildlife. It was raining a little bit when we got there so there were not many animals out, but on our way back down the sun came out as well as the marmots. 

Try being up at around 12,000 feet elevation and run up a hill. Paige took off running and was out of breath in no time. I had to end up carrying her up hill for awhile while she recovered. 

Marmot spotting!

Cute, little pika. They have the sweetest faces. 



Once the sun came out we could truly enjoy the view from the trail. I could go on and on about how beautiful it was. It's something to see at least once. 




We spotted what I think were elk way off in the distance. 


Once the sun came out the marmots came out in full force. I am so glad they did, because Ella was here for the marmots!




This little guy was right at the entrance of the trail. Ella and I stopped to watch it. 

This marmot was not bothered at all by people and came walking right out infront of Ella. 

One last pika spotting before we headed out!

The views did not disappoint on our way back down toward Estes Park. 


Since we didn't leave the park until 2:00pm we didn't get to a hotel in Kansas until 11pm. I was lucky to even find a hotel, because I think everyone who leaves Colorado stops somewhere in Kansas to spend the night. It an exhausting drive home but completely worth it. 

I am so thankful we took this trip and didn't let COVID stand in our way. This was truly a great trip, one that I won't forget for a long, long time. 



































































No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...