Monday, June 14, 2021

Montague, MI


School ended and we headed to Michigan for Memorial Day weekend. We planned this trip only about a month/month and a half before we went. I'm not sure why, but we (maybe me) felt the need to go on a short trip that weekend. I feel like it was just meant to be, because we had to say goodbye to our sweet Elliott a few days before we left. It was very hard on us so it was nice to get away for a little bit after that. Between school ending and Elliott's passing, Ella just did not want to go. We ended up letting her stay home which we usually wouldn't do, but since we had our big family trip planned a week later we figured it would be ok. She was also in great hands so that made it easier to leave her. We missed her greatly but knew she was happy. 

We stayed at the cutest house I found on VRBO. It was super nice and had a private beach which was the best part. Although it was great, it was in the country and pretty far from civilization. I'm not sure I would go there again but loved it for this weekend trip. 




This is the private beach frontage. I have never been to a private beach, and it was nice not having people around. They had chairs and beach toys so we didn't need to bring a thing. 

There were 85 steps down to the beach. Talk about a workout!
 
It was COLD and windy when we arrived, but that didn't stop us from checking out the beach. 

Our first full day in Michigan we decided to go to Holland, MI and check out the town. We headed downtown first to go in a few shops and eat lunch. I was freezing to the point that I wished I had brought my winter coat. I would have bought one if I had saw one in a shop. We did a little shopping and ate lunch at a local pizza place. 
We made the most of our time in Holland and stopped at Dutch Village. It would have been nicer on a sunny, warm day but the weather was not going to stop us. Dutch Village has animals, shops, and other attractions. A few things were closed due to the weather, but Paige still had plenty to keep her busy. 






There were farm animals and duck races. 

Paige loved this wooden shoe that was a slide. She did this over and over again. 


Paige had to take advantage of every picture opportunity that she could. She is definitely my child. 

We headed back since we were so cold, and the sun finally came out. Thank goodness! 

Adam made this out on the beach. We had a really tough week, and I honestly don't think either of us would have made it without the other. 


Lake Michigan is beautiful. I love the ocean, but there is nothing like Lake Michigan. 


Paige started out in a sweatshirt, then a t-shirt, and ended up in a bathing suit. As cold as it was that day, the afternoon was beautiful! 



Paige has always loved the beach. It's her happy place for sure!


This house had an outdoor shower (with hot water) which was just the right size for Paige. She had sand all over her so this shower was perfect. 

The Lake Michigan sunsets are definitely a sight to see! It was gorgeous. 




The following day was sunny and beautiful. It was a bit chilly but still a great day to be outside. I brought this dress along to get a few pictures, and this house was the perfect location for it. 


Paige said, "Look, I'm the Statue of Liberty!" 






That afternoon Paige and Adam played nintendo. Paige didn't last long. She can't sit still for longer than ten minutes. 

One full day we dedicated to the beach. The water was freezing! That is the only drawback to Lake Michigan. I don't think the water ever gets warm. Even in July it's cold. 


It was a lovely sunny day, and we soaked it up! 

Paige tried out boogie boarding for the first time and loved it. The cold water didn't seem to bother her. 




On our last day we went to Lewis Adventure Farm. This was the nicest farm I have ever been to, and Paige loved it. There was plenty to do for kids and the adults as well. The weather was beautiful that day so it made for the perfect day. 

We had to get a huge shaved ice! 

I enjoyed the animals. There were alpacas, goats, horses, camels, donkeys, prairie dogs, and even deer just to name a few. 







We all enjoyed the big slide. Paige went down it over and over again. 


She had so much fun!







She was all about the jumping pillow since she had done this before at the pumpkin patch. Paige managed to pick up a couple of friends while she was jumping. She is a social butterfly. 


Paige also found kids to play with in the big corn bin. She started talking to every kid that came through. Adam and I just sat back and watched. It was so entertaining. Paige does not know the meaning of the word shy. She thrives on other people. 


It ended up being a great day at Lewis Farms. It was one of my favorite things we have done on a vacation. It was simple but a lot of fun. 


We headed back for one more afternoon at the beach. 


After having such a rough start to that week, this was the perfect weekend getaway. We were able to relax (as much as a person can with Paige around) and regroup. Michigan is such a beautiful state, and I loved seeing a different part that I had never seen before.  

















No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...