Saturday, July 17, 2021

Yellowstone - Day 2

We were up bright and early for our first full day in Yellowstone. I had three things on my list that we had to see while we were there and anything else was just a bonus. 

Adam wasn't thrilled to be up early and moving, but he did it anyway. I thought getting up early would be a good way to avoid traffic and lines at the entrance, but I was wrong. I think everyone had the same idea. We eventually got in and moving. 


 


We encountered some traffic at an unusual spot and when this happens you can almost guarantee it's because of wildlife. I was so excited to see a buffalo wandering down the road. These things are SLOW and could care less about anything. They just go about their business. 


This dude was HUGE! I was freaking out and about ready to take out anyone who got in my way of taking pictures. ;) 


It was a beautiful morning at Yellowstone. We had THE BEST weather the entire vacation. 

Our first stop that morning was Grand Prismatic Spring. 
Paige and I did some waiting while Adam and Ella parked the car. Parking lots were packed everywhere we went and had to park down the main road again. 


It was really cool to see this hot water running into the stream. 




The first geyser we came upon was Excelsior Geyser. Once you have seen one you have seen them all, but they were still neat to look at it. 






The most impressive, most beautiful geyser was Grand Prismatic Spring. The colors were unreal. There was an overlook to see it from above, but it was quite the hike to get to. I don't think Paige was up for it that day, but I would have loved to have seen it. 

I was asked to wear a GPS tracker that day for research so that's what is hanging off my backpack. 

There were buffalo tracks right by the geyser which was so cool. 

Look at the colors!! So gorgeous! 



Next stop on our tour of Yellowstone was Old Faithful. We arrived shortly after it had erupted. It erupts every 90 minutes give or take 8-10 minutes. This gave us time to go in the General Store and eat lunch. I loved the general store. It had all kinds of great Yellowstone souvenirs. 

We headed over to old faithful with about 20 minutes to spare. There were people everywhere. 

We sat right in front of people sitting on the bleachers. Of course we encountered a "Karen" but oh well. It was an awesome sight to see. 


I found this on a website about Old Faithful: Thermal features change constantly and it is possible Old Faithful may stop erupting someday. Geysers and other thermal features are evidence of ongoing volcanic activity beneath the surface and change is part of this natural system. Yellowstone preserves the natural geologic processes so that visitors may continue to enjoy this natural system.
I am so glad we were able to enjoy it in person!




That was all we could handle that day so we headed out since we were going to the West Yellowstone Rodeo that night. I spotted this buffalo through the bushes so Adam pulled over so I could get pictures. It was just laying there minding it's own business. I would of course never go bother it or get close, but they do not seem to care about people at all. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...