Sunday, April 28, 2013

What a weekend!

I learned a long time ago to expect the unexpected when you have kids. When we have plans to do anything I never believe it is actually going to work out until we walk out the door. 

This weekend I should have been running the derby half marathon in Louisville. I signed up for it back in January, but my body had different plans for me. After seeing an orthodpaedic doctor in March I learned I had shin splints. He officially "shut me down" from running. My plans to run the derby half went out the window. I have a feeling my running days may be over, but I am glad I accomplished what I did while I actually could run. 

In lieu of running the half we decided the visit friends in Terre Haute this weekend. We were going to spend the night Friday night at the hotel Adam has been staying at for three years when he goes for work, and then hang out with them on Saturday. Ella had other plans for us though. 

Wednesday and Thursday morning this past week Ella was just not herself. I was late for a health screening on Wednesday, because I couldn't get her moving. Thursday morning she screamed and cried before preschool. I had to physically put her in her car seat. She told me she didn't like me all the way there, and screamed all the way in the door. I dropped her off crying and luckily her wonderful teachers got her calmed down. Nothing seemed to be wrong with her at all. She just didn't want to do anything. Thursday night she was up five times, and eventually was up at 5am. This is definitely not like her. She kept wanting me to rub her cheek so I started getting suspicious. I continued getting ready for our Terre Haute trip though, because I just figured she was tired. Friday afternoon she started getting very whiny and told me her ear hurt. I had noticed she kept laying on her right ear. I went back and forth if I should call the doctor. Sometimes I feel like I'm crazy for thinking that she may be sick. I called anyway, and within a half hour we were at the doctor. Come to find out she has a double ear infection. She is a tough little girl, because we had no clue. She didn't seem sick at all. 

Needless to say we had to cancel our trip to Terre Haute, and I am glad we did. Friday night was brutal. Ella could not sleep. She was extremely exhausted and very uncomfortable. Finally around 2am I moved her into the living room. She laid her head on the arm of the love seat and the elevation seemed to help. We got a little bit of sleep, but she was back up at 5am again.  Saturday afternoon Ella perked up a bit and finally slept all night last night. Heaven!

One good thing came out of this though. Ella finally started taking medicine on her own. No screaming, kicking, or fighting. I was so so proud of her. It makes life so much easier. I get extremely stressed when is sick just for the simple fact that giving her medicine is hell. Not anymore! 

This past weekend was definitely not what I had in mind.  You just never know what to expect when you have kids, but I wouldn't have it any other way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...