It's been so long since I have done an update on Ella. I'm not sure how she is almost done with first grade and seven years old. I don't even feel old enough to have a seven year old most days. She is growing up way too fast.
This is Ella's first grade picture, and I feel like it's such a good representation of the true Ella. In her kindergarten picture she looked unsure and shy. In this picture she looks like the sweet, confident, happy little girl we all know and love.
Ella has loved school this school year. She is completely herself at school, and that is the best thing in the world to see. Ella is a friend to everyone and thinks everyone is her friend. Ella has branched out this school year and formed friendships with a few of the girls as well as a few boys. Her first school friend was Kole, and they have remained friends this school year. Ella and her friend, Lexie, plan play dates while at school. The first time we went to fired up. They planned a trip to Chuck E Cheese so that is what we are doing next. It makes me laugh that they discuss and plan these things at school.
Remember the little girl who wouldn't speak in the classroom in kindergarten? That same little girl has gotten a few points deducted (class dojo) for talking too much this school year. She got moved once because she was talking too much to her neighbor. She was also up during snack time whispering in her neighbor's ear when she wasn't supposed to be. I never thought I would see the day!
Ella said her favorite classes are gym and math. She looks forward to every Thursday and Friday, because she has gym class in the morning. She despises anything to do with handwriting. She tends to rush through her handwriting worksheets and hands them in before anyone else. She has really nice handwriting but just doesn't enjoy writing. We have to constantly remind her to take her time and write neatly.
I didn't realize how much work first grade would entail. Every week she has a spelling test and a bible verse to memorize and recite. Every week she has AR quizzes almost everyday so that requires quite a bit of reading. She also has a project once or twice a month and has to present them to the class. That's a big thing for a first grader! I used to worry that Ella would never get up in front of her class and speak, but she has had no problem so far. First grade has definitely brought out the best in her.
I have not been able to volunteer this school year as much as I did last. I typically only do lunch duty once a month. I still make copies for the teachers, but I have only done that a few times. Early on in the school year I realized that Ella doesn't need me at school anymore. I volunteered every single week when she was in Kindergarten, because she needed to see me. She doesn't need that anymore, and I am happy for her. She likes to keep school her own little world.
After a rough start to her school career, first grade has been a breath of fresh air. We are SO proud of our sweet girl!

No comments:
Post a Comment