Monday, May 18, 2015

Paige's birth

I can not believe it has been a week since Paige was born. Last week at this time I was waiting to go back to surgery. I had no idea what was in store for me, but I had high hopes that this time around would be different. 

I was up at 2am Monday morning. I laid in bed waiting for my alarm to go off at 4am. I could not sleep, because my mind was racing. I was nervous about every. single. thing. that was going to take place from the time I arrived at the hospital until the time I stepped out of the hospital. I was also nervous to be away from Ella, even though I knew she was in good hands. Life was out of my control for a couple of days, and I did not like it.

Adam and I arrived promptly at 6:00am. I told him many times there was no way I was going to be late for this. We are late for everything.  By 6:30am I was being hooked up to monitors, asked a million questions, and prepping for surgery. I almost passed out while I was getting my IV, which was probably the worst part of the day. 





I walked in the OR at 8:00am still in shock that I was about ready to have a baby. I was a nervous wreck about the spinal, but it wasn't near as bad as I thought. Once I was ready to go Adam came in, and they started. I had complete faith in my doctor and knew she had my best interest at heart. She reassured me time and time again that everything would go a lot smoother than last time. 

At 8:21am Paige Leigh Bertram was born weighing in at 6 lbs 13 ounces and 18 inches long. She came out with the softest cry I have ever heard and a head full of black hair. It was surreal to see and hear her for the first time.  I never thought I would experience that moment ever again, and now I will never forget it. 


The surgery part was not bad at all. I was very pleased with the whole experience. Within no time I was being wheeled back to recovery. Ella was the only one allowed in the recovery room with us. She was so excited to meet her little sister that day. I honestly don't remember what she said, but I know she was thrilled and so proud to finally meet Paige. 



I ended up having a couple spells of nausea that day, but overall I felt surprisingly good. 

It was nice to be able to enjoy our visitors and not be in a ton of pain. 



Ella is the proudest big sister I have ever seen. She was way more excited than I imagined. She was only at the hospital a brief time, because she wanted to go to Chuck e Cheese. Once that was over she headed back to the hospital and stayed with us all afternoon. 




Paige slept almost all night our first night. I had to wake her up at 3am to eat. We should have realized then what a laid back baby she was going to be. There isn't a nursery at the hospital anymore, but even if there was I would not have sent her down. She was such a great baby our entire hospital stay. 

On day 2 I was able to get out of bed and shower. It was painful but not as painful as I imagined. Paige and I tried to nap most of the day, but nurses were in and out. My doctor came around 4 and told me I could go home in the morning if I felt like it. My goal all along was to get home after 48 hours. I needed to get home to return to our normal routine for my own sanity. 


The Bertram' s and Ice's just keep multiplying!


After 48 hours I was quickly released from the hospital. I think they must have needed my room, because we were out of there in no time. What was a terrible experience six years ago turned out to be a wonderful experience the second time around. I wasn't going to have her at the Women's Hospital since the first time was such a disaster, but I'm glad I did. I am now left with wonderful memories that I will remember forever. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...