
Today is the day I have been dreading for months. I took Ella's bottle away cold turkey. I have known for a long time that I needed to do this, but I didn't think I was strong enough. I also thought I may lose some sleep, and anyone who knows me well knows I love my sleep!
Today while Ella was trying to fall asleep for her nap I packed her bottles away. I would be a liar if I said I didn't shed a tear or two while I was doing this. Twenty months ago I was in the exact spot unpacking, washing, and putting away these bottles in preparation for Ella. I cleared out room in our cabinet and put them away nice and neatly. I remember worrying about the fact that I may not have enough bottles. I had 17 to be exact. Today there were 12. I am not quite sure where the 5 missing bottles went. I had no idea how to make a bottle before I had Ella. I knew someone would teach me, and in time I became a pro. Ella started out taking a mere 2 ounces of formula, and she worked her way up to 8 ounce bottles. Once she hit a year old I worried about how I was going to get her off of formula. If you haven't figured it out yet, I worry quite a bit. At first Ella was not a fan of milk. I had to mix her formula and milk together. She gradually started liking milk and eventually I was able to get her to drink straight milk. So now it was onto the next worry. How will I ever get Ella off her bottle? I knew the day would come that I would just have to stop her cold turkey, but I just didn't know it would be today.
These bottles remind me of the MANY nights I got up to feed Ella. We put the formula and a bottle in the bathroom every night before bed. When I heard her cry on the monitor I would drag myself out of bed and get up to make her bottle in the bathroom. I rocked her and fed her hoping she would go back to sleep easily. As much as I hated getting up during the night I wouldn't trade these times for the world.
Notice that these bottles have been put through the ringer. Not only did Ella love her "baba", but the boys loved them too! You can tell how much they love them by how chewed up they are:)
So far, things are going better than I expected. I did take Ella over an hour to fall asleep for her nap today, but she slept two hours. Tonight she went to bed without a fuss (that may have something to do with the fact that I let her take her toothbrush to bed with her). I have no idea what the night may bring, but I keep telling myself that I have to stay strong. It could be a rough few days. I'll keep you posted.
The bottles are now residing in a box in the garage. I figured it was best to get them out of the house. Out of sight, out of mind (I hope)! I am not quite sure if these bottles will ever make their way back into our house. I have no idea what the future holds for us, but I know these bottles are where they need to be for now. I will remember this day, 9/8/10, as the day Ella officially went from being a baby to a big girl.
Farewell "baba". It was nice knowing you.
Today while Ella was trying to fall asleep for her nap I packed her bottles away. I would be a liar if I said I didn't shed a tear or two while I was doing this. Twenty months ago I was in the exact spot unpacking, washing, and putting away these bottles in preparation for Ella. I cleared out room in our cabinet and put them away nice and neatly. I remember worrying about the fact that I may not have enough bottles. I had 17 to be exact. Today there were 12. I am not quite sure where the 5 missing bottles went. I had no idea how to make a bottle before I had Ella. I knew someone would teach me, and in time I became a pro. Ella started out taking a mere 2 ounces of formula, and she worked her way up to 8 ounce bottles. Once she hit a year old I worried about how I was going to get her off of formula. If you haven't figured it out yet, I worry quite a bit. At first Ella was not a fan of milk. I had to mix her formula and milk together. She gradually started liking milk and eventually I was able to get her to drink straight milk. So now it was onto the next worry. How will I ever get Ella off her bottle? I knew the day would come that I would just have to stop her cold turkey, but I just didn't know it would be today.
These bottles remind me of the MANY nights I got up to feed Ella. We put the formula and a bottle in the bathroom every night before bed. When I heard her cry on the monitor I would drag myself out of bed and get up to make her bottle in the bathroom. I rocked her and fed her hoping she would go back to sleep easily. As much as I hated getting up during the night I wouldn't trade these times for the world.
Notice that these bottles have been put through the ringer. Not only did Ella love her "baba", but the boys loved them too! You can tell how much they love them by how chewed up they are:)
So far, things are going better than I expected. I did take Ella over an hour to fall asleep for her nap today, but she slept two hours. Tonight she went to bed without a fuss (that may have something to do with the fact that I let her take her toothbrush to bed with her). I have no idea what the night may bring, but I keep telling myself that I have to stay strong. It could be a rough few days. I'll keep you posted.The bottles are now residing in a box in the garage. I figured it was best to get them out of the house. Out of sight, out of mind (I hope)! I am not quite sure if these bottles will ever make their way back into our house. I have no idea what the future holds for us, but I know these bottles are where they need to be for now. I will remember this day, 9/8/10, as the day Ella officially went from being a baby to a big girl.
Farewell "baba". It was nice knowing you.

No comments:
Post a Comment