A trip to the grocery for me is a job. The only reason I am writing about this is so I can look back and remember what it was like to take a toddler to the grocery store. Here is what our grocery shopping is like:
I usually try to find a parking spot by a cart return, but this is next to impossible on a Sunday morning at Wal-mart. I end up parking a mile away from a cart return so this means I will be one of those bad people that leave their cart in an empty parking spot next to them when they leave.
I get Ella out of the car, grab my purse, and in we go. I grab a cart, and it seems like the first cart I grab usually has a messed up wheel. I get another cart, wipe it down, and Ella goes in.
I get my list out of my purse. Ella usually wants my list so she can eat the paper. The child won't eat anything, but she sure loves paper! I just so happen to have a zip loc baggy of puffs in my purse. I give her this for a distraction.
We usually hit the dry goods first, and then I get my cold stuff. By the time the cart is getting full, and Ella is getting bored. She turns around and starts grabbing random items to chew on. Once I stop this she usually throws one or two items out of the cart.
I usually buy 3 or 4 gallons of milk, 2 big jugs of juice, 2 cases of water, and soft drinks. Try figuring out how to fit all this in the cart along with her.
After this I am almost finished, but I am slowed down since my cart now weighs about 40 pounds (27 of that is Ella).
I scan my list one more time just to make sure I have everything. I usually forget one of two things for some reason.
We finally hit the check out line only to find out it's a mile long. I find a line and pray that Ella stays patient. Since she hasn't learned what patience is yet it's usually pretty hairy until we get up to the register.
I start emptying the cart onto the conveyor belt, and Ella starts taking items off. After about 5-10 minutes we are done and out the door.
We get out the door into the parking lot and hear something scraping on the concrete. It's a case of water that fell off the cart. Luckily, a nice man puts it back for me. I walk a few more steps. I hear scraping again. This time I have to go around and put it back myself.
We made it to the car! I start the car, put Ella in her seat, and start loading the groceries in the car. I have to leave my cart in the empty parking spot next to me (oh well).
I get in my car and exhale. I am exhausted just from grocery shopping!
We finally pull in the garage. I open the back, get Ella out, and take her in. I turn Elmo on and let the dogs out of the laundry room. I start bringing groceries in. Sometimes I am lucky enough for her to cooperate while I put everything away.
My grocery shopping is complete!
I usually try to find a parking spot by a cart return, but this is next to impossible on a Sunday morning at Wal-mart. I end up parking a mile away from a cart return so this means I will be one of those bad people that leave their cart in an empty parking spot next to them when they leave.
I get Ella out of the car, grab my purse, and in we go. I grab a cart, and it seems like the first cart I grab usually has a messed up wheel. I get another cart, wipe it down, and Ella goes in.
I get my list out of my purse. Ella usually wants my list so she can eat the paper. The child won't eat anything, but she sure loves paper! I just so happen to have a zip loc baggy of puffs in my purse. I give her this for a distraction.
We usually hit the dry goods first, and then I get my cold stuff. By the time the cart is getting full, and Ella is getting bored. She turns around and starts grabbing random items to chew on. Once I stop this she usually throws one or two items out of the cart.
I usually buy 3 or 4 gallons of milk, 2 big jugs of juice, 2 cases of water, and soft drinks. Try figuring out how to fit all this in the cart along with her.
After this I am almost finished, but I am slowed down since my cart now weighs about 40 pounds (27 of that is Ella).
I scan my list one more time just to make sure I have everything. I usually forget one of two things for some reason.
We finally hit the check out line only to find out it's a mile long. I find a line and pray that Ella stays patient. Since she hasn't learned what patience is yet it's usually pretty hairy until we get up to the register.
I start emptying the cart onto the conveyor belt, and Ella starts taking items off. After about 5-10 minutes we are done and out the door.
We get out the door into the parking lot and hear something scraping on the concrete. It's a case of water that fell off the cart. Luckily, a nice man puts it back for me. I walk a few more steps. I hear scraping again. This time I have to go around and put it back myself.
We made it to the car! I start the car, put Ella in her seat, and start loading the groceries in the car. I have to leave my cart in the empty parking spot next to me (oh well).
I get in my car and exhale. I am exhausted just from grocery shopping!
We finally pull in the garage. I open the back, get Ella out, and take her in. I turn Elmo on and let the dogs out of the laundry room. I start bringing groceries in. Sometimes I am lucky enough for her to cooperate while I put everything away.
My grocery shopping is complete!

whew! i can relate! the best is when i give Ryker crackers and he chews them up then spits them into the cart all over my groceries and smears them on the cart itself. i feel sorry for whoever gets my cart after me!
ReplyDelete